Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Perfect (Crocheted) Little Black Bag


I started making this bag on a whim a few months ago after seeing this beauty on Pinterest. I would do other little side projects throughout my new little black bag quest, and I am happy to announce that I have finally finished it. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, except for the lining bit. This was my first bag ever to try and add a lining to, and I did a pretty terrible job. I'll add the tutorial I used at the bottom, and hopefully you will have more luck than me. I hope to remove this lining eventually and retry. Luckily you can't see the lining from the outside, so as far as anyone else can see, this is a perfectly good lookin' handbag.

Materials: 2 skeins black yarn, 5mm crochet hook, black button, black thread and sewing needle, scissors, 1/2 yd black fabric and sewing machine for lining (optional). 

Abbreviations: chain stitch (ch), slip stitch (ss), single crochet (sc), double crochet (dc), puff stitch (puff), skip a stitch (sk). Pattern is in US terms.

Row 1: ch 96. ss into first ch. ch 2. 

Row 2-5: dc in each stitch around. ss into top of ch 2. ch 2. 

Row 6: *puff stitch in next dc. ch 1. skip 1 dc. puff into next dc.* repeat around. ss into first puff. ch 3. 

Row 7: puff sitch into first ch 1 space. ch 1. *puff into next ch 1 space. ch 1.* repeat around. ss into the second ch of the beginning ch 3. ch 2.  

Row 8: *dc into the top of the next puff stitch. dc into the next ch 1.* Repeat around. ss into the first dc. ch 3.

Row 9: Repeat row 6.

Row 10-14: Repeat row 7. 

Row 15: Repeat row 8, but only ch 2 at the end. 

Row 16: dc in each dc around. ch 3. 

Row 17: Repeat row 6.

Row 18: Repeat row 7.

Row 19: Repeat row 8, but only ch 2 at the end.

Row 20: sc 14. ch 20. sk 20 stitches and sc into next dc. sc 27. ch 20. sk 20, and sc into next dc. sc 13. ss into first sc. ch 1.

Row 21-24: sc around (when you get to the ch stitches for the handles, sc into the ch stitches). ss into first sc. ch 1.

Row 25: ss around.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

To close the bottom of your bag, fold it flat and attach your yarn to the first stitch on either side. Line the bottom stitches on each side of your bag up and slip stitch all the way across. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Turn your bag inside out, so you can see the puff of your puff stitches.

Attach your yarn to the center of one side of the bag to make a loop for your button. ch 10-12 stitches. ss into the same stitch you added your yarn to. Fasten off and weave in ends. 

Use your needle and yarn to attach your button to the center of the opposite side of the bag. Use my pictures for reference. 
I used this tutorial to add a lining to my bag. I just think it makes it more durable, but feel free to leave it unlined. Sorry if this pattern is a little hard to follow. I didn't write things down as I went, so I've had to just use my memory. E-mail me if you have any questions!



10 comments:

  1. Beautiful, thanks for sharing the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya. Was wondering what weight wool you used?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this pattern!!! I just found instructions on how to do the "three-double-crochet puff stitch"... I hope that's the right one! (I'm new to the crochet game) Thanks so much for making the pattern free :)
    -m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the kind words! I used a four-double crochet puff stitch, but I think just three on the hook would work out just fine. The puff just won't be as puffy. Hope you enjoy the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your pattern, it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sherian! I really like how it turned out:)

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! Two questions - what size hook did you use and also was it regular yarn or cotton? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used a 5mm hook, and I actually just used some acrylic yarn that I had in my stash from a very long time ago. I think a cotton version would be absolutely lovely though. Let me know how it turns out if you give it a try!

      Delete