Thursday, December 15, 2016

A Gift in a Jar: Butterscotch Brownies

 
I hope you all are having a nice slow and cozy Advent and holiday season so far. I know these short days can be so hectic and not so cheery to many, and please know that I am thinking of you. I have learned over the past few years, this season, although filled with pretty lights, sweet gifts, and yummy treats, is most importantly a season of preparation and stillness. Remembering our sweet Savior's first coming into the world as a baby in a manger and preparing our souls for when He comes again. Thinking of Jesus' Earthly life is so comforting to me because it reminds me that he gets me. He fully understands the trials we are going through, and He is right by our sides, through every painful and every joyous moment.  I hope that thought comforts you too, and allows us all to be grateful for Him first, send extra love to others second, and soak in all the wonderful magical things this season brings third. 

In the spirit of Christmas and gift giving, I wanted to share a homemade project with you this year that you can cozy up indoors and make for your loved one.  It's a simple brownie mix that you could gift on it's own or pair it with an oven mitt for a little gift set that is sure to warm the heart and the belly. I paired my brownie mix with the oven mitt I designed for my crochet class on Skillshare. If you may be interested in making this little mitt, you can head over to my class to see how it's done. If you are already a crocheter, feel free to just download the pattern or skip over to the project videos.

I love using natural and simple materials when I create things whether it's gifts or just a little something for myself. I think it offers a peaceful and warm feel made with intention. I chose to use simple ingredients for the brownie mix that you most likely have on hand, and my oven mitt was made with pure American wool. For the wrapping, I used a natural linen fabric, a bit of twine, and a tree clipping. I very much hope you enjoy making this gift and gifting it! 
Brownie Mix:

1 1/4 cup flour
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup cocoa powder
pinch of salt
butterscotch morsels

Mix all brownie ingredients in a bowl with a handful of the butterscotch morsels. Slowly add the mix into a 1 quart mason jar pressing down the mix firmly into the jar as you go. I used the bottom of a small glass for this. Add another handful of morsels to top the jar off and close. Print out this label and add to the top of the jar. Place the oven mitt on top of the fabric, then the jar in the center of the oven mitt standing up. Gather the four corners of the fabric at the top of the jar and securing with the twine. Decorate with your tree clipping. 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!